Small Business Ombudsman Bruce Billson has stated that the first meeting between himself and Australia Post to find a solution to the issue of shipping perishable goods was ‘productive’. Last week, the logistics business caved to industry pressure after initially having announced it would no longer ship perishable goods as of June 30. This would leave many small businesses around the country without a means to ship their products.
“This initial meeting with Australia Post gives me confidence that we can work together to identify what the problems are and to find solutions to make a pathway forward,” Billson told insidefmcg.com.au.
“My office has made it clear to Australia Post that many small business food producers, especially those in regional areas, are reliant on the continuation of postage services to fulfil their orders. Australia Post has demonstrated a willingness to work through issues in its delivery network, including ongoing discussions with industry regulators [and] my state-based Small Business Commissioner colleagues are also well-placed to play a key role in this problem-solving process if it is a matter of complex and differing food regulation requirements across the states.”
Billson has said it is ‘vital’ that all parties work together to achieve an outcome that will enable e-commerce businesses around the country to thrive, and for Australia Post to be able to continue the service with confidence. The meeting is to be the first of many, with Billson having agreed to co-chair an industry working forum with Australia Post which will begin meeting in May.